Lounging on a great hot tub pillow or raft is so relaxing; the perfect way to while away the day or evening. Babies and kids just love moving about in their floaties and tossing beach balls around.
Unfortunately, plastic toys, loungers, rafts and hot tub pillows are prone to mold and mildew, the smelly fungi that develop in damp and moist environments. Mildew is milder than mold and it’s the beginning stage of mold. You will see a patch of gray or white fungus on the surface of your objects. Mold on the other hand is black or green and looks fuzzy or slimy. In addition to looking disgusting, because they are fungal growths, they are allergens and can trigger mild to extreme bouts of asthma, respiratory problems, irritated eyes, and headaches, if gone untreated.
It’s easy to get rid of the mold and mildew that accumulates on your pool and spa toys, plastic loungers and pillows.
Cleaning the natural way use:
- Plain vinegar
- Clean sponge or scrub brush
- Baking soda
- Toothbrush (optional to get into the crevices)
1. Remove your bath pillow from your tub. Make sure you are removing it correctly and if the pillow is covered, remove that as well.
2. Moisten your sponge and scrub gently. Add baking soda as you go. It will form a paste and you will see the vinegar reacting with the baking soda. This helps lift the dirt and mildew from your the pillow or other inflatables.
3. For the hard to reach spots use a toothbrush.
4. Inspect the items closely to make sure there are no mildew spots or patches; otherwise, they will just grow back easily if there are any spores left.
5. Air dry or if weather permitting, dry it out in the sun to kill off any bacteria, mold, or mildew. The vinegar smell will quickly dissipate.
6. Now if you are cleaning a spa pillow, be sure to check your hot tub and clean the area the pillow was sitting or attached. Remove any mold or mildew to avoid it growing back.
7. Reassemble and attach your pillow once dried. When items aren’t in use, store them in a dry place with good air circulation, as to stave off or prevent a re-infestation of mold and mildew.
For stubborn jobs repeat, but this time replace vinegar and baking soda with bleach and mild detergent. We suggest wearing gloves and goggles.
Hot tubs make a great Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanza or New Year’s gift for the family… Read about the health benefits of owning a hot tub.
Call Desmond Pools and Spas for a free, in-home consultation (610) 438-4704!
Our sales representative will take the time to answer all your questions.
Desmond Pools & Spas
Creating one oasis at a time throughout the Lehigh Valley, PA
Save $ – View Our Specials!